Friday, June 20, 2014

The Journey

I want to share the adventure I took to get to this point, about to head off to Peru!
I have always wanted to serve, it's been in the back of my mind for about 5 years. I didn't think it was very likely that I would be willing to drop school or a boyfriend when I finally turned 21 so I never really thought this would happen. In October of 2012, President Thomas S. Monson announced that worthy young women with a desire to serve were able to serve at age 19. My whole life changed! I then decided that no matter what, I would serve a mission.

While I attended school at BYU-Idaho I met with my bishop often to discuss missions. on December 8th, 2013 I officially opened my mission papers! I worked hard and completed all of my part, including doctor appointment- a physical exam and shots, dentist appointment- cavities and wisdom tooth pulled, and all the paperwork. I left for Christmas break and the only thing left was the portion for my bishop. Because of the busy season and the start of a new semester, my papers were officially submitted January 21st, 2014. After a taunting wait, I received my mission call on February 6th, 2014. As I read it my heart was warm and I couldn't help but smile all day long!

Dear Sister Pilling
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You are assigned to labour in the PERU CHICLAYO mission. you should report to the Peru Missionary Training Center on Wednesday July 2, 2014. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the spanish language. 

to this day I am still shocked and it doesn't seem real that I will be living in Peru for 18 months. I am beyond excited! I know that this church is true, I know that it can change lives and bring peace and happiness to any soul. I'm excited to share the joyful message of this gospel to those I meet and to strengthen my own testimony as I serve. 


No comments:

Post a Comment