Monday, January 5, 2015

The Power of Faith

Okay. It has been like 4 days since we wrote so I don't have many new things to say. We had a first lesson with a sister named Serefina. She looks like she's going to have a lot of potential! But we'll see. We've got the faith. It's kind of funny because our baptism and our prospective investigators are all widowed sisters or single moms. Our relief society is big and strong and our Elder's quorum is 5 men. 5, that's all.  Wow. 

Today was p-day and a member came with us to El Centro to print photos and send letters. I sent a lot of letters so check your mail boxes! I sent them ALL over the world too, which is super cool.
 I am so grateful for the members in this ward and the friendships we have because I would be lost without them. I saw one of the elders from my group in the MTC and the first thing he said was, "Hermana Pilling, oh my goodness you're training! How are you doing it?" hahahaha News travels fast I guess. No one believes that I am training. Especially because I haven't had a Latina companion yet and I'm training a North American. It's so fun though! 

So, I'll tell you about my studies since I have nothing else to say.  I have studied chapter 3, lesson 5 in Preach my Gospel about temples and family history work. I am so grateful for papa Garlick's conversion story, which I have and for my genealogy chart and for my membership in the church. It's the best ever. I also just love temples. I also studied President Uchtdorf's talk from October Conference 2014 called "Receiving a Testimony of Light and Truth" and it is my new all time favorite. It is so good. I have read it 2x already. I have been aware of my testimony and the strength I have received and I am so grateful for the mission. It is so important for  EVERYONE to continue to strengthen their testimonies because a testimony can never be too strong. It's such a good talk! 
Then I studied in Preach My Gospel in chapter 4 today- how to recognize and understand the holy ghost. Today I read about receiving personal revelation and why it is so important in our lives. PMG says that everyone desires spiritual revelation, or something along those lines (pg 90 top of the page), and I have learned that it is so true! It's so cool to see the investigators realize that they are missing something in their lives, something big and important. And it's the gospel! It's the light of Christ! It is hard for me to recognize the Holy Ghost though. I just always have to remember Moroni 7:10-13, 16 and just go with my gut. If it's something good, it's right. 

I have been learning so so so so so so much about faith. One of our investigators, Piero, has an incredible amount of faith! As I study more about it I try to put myself in the shoes of others. For example, the story of Moses and the serpent in Numbers 21:4-9, John 3:14, and Alma 33:19-21 (in that order). What would I do? Would I look?  or Matthew 14:25-33. would I walk out to Christ? Would I start to sink? I am also learning the power of faith and all of the things we can do with faith. It's incredible. I believe there is more power in faith than we realize. 

Well! My time is up! 
I love you all with all my heart and pray for your health and safety at all times. You guys mean the world to me and your emails and letters are fantastic as always! Keep it up with the Dear Elders and SEND ME PHOTOS :) 

Love, 
melting like a popsicle (and smelling ugly too)

Hermana Pilling

No comments:

Post a Comment